Sweet Potato Lentil Kale Soup Recipe

Sweetpotatolentilkalesoup-1

I love everything about this soup — the way it looks, the way it tastes, the different textures and how easy it is to make. It makes a fine meal all by itself. If you try it, I’d love to hear your experience.

1 c. dried lentils (your choice… this time I used French green, but have had lovely results with red and the black beluga ones too.)
6 c. low-sodium organic vegetable broth (or cooking liquid of your choice)
1 onion, chopped up
a few cloves of garlic, smashed or sliced
3 sweet potatoes or yams, all chopped up
1 or 2 bunches of lacinato kale (or greens of your choice)
1 splash of olive oil
1 tbsp curry powder (or to taste)

Splash a little olive oil in the bottom of a big pot and sauté garlic and onion for a few minutes until fragrant and translucent. Then toss in everything but the kale and bring it to a boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes, then toss in the kale. Simmer for 15 minutes more, then serve. Excellent with a crusty grainy bread or brown rice. Enjoy!

9 Responses to “Sweet Potato Lentil Kale Soup Recipe”
  1. jules 5 March 2008 at 9:47 pm #

i made this tonight for dinner and it was definitely a hit. not too heavy, but hearty just the same, and such great flavor. thanks for the recipe; i’ll definitely be making it again!

2. [...] Sweet Potato Lentil Kale Soup Recipe Possibly related posts (automatically generated): [...]

3. Stephanie 9 December 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Emily,

I stumbled upon your site while I looking for a recipe that involved sweet potatoes and kale. This soup was delicious!!!! ts simple and so good for you. The only addition I made was a few squeezes of lemon juice after the heat was turned off. Thanks for sharing!

4. GLENDA 29 December 2010 at 1:41 pm #

This may be the best soup I have ever tasted! The combination of sweet potatoes, lentils and curry are amazing. Many thanks for this fine recipe, Glenda

5. Dave 25 July 2011 at 4:07 pm #

I added rice vinegar and fresh cilantro after cooking — dynamite!

• Emily Davidow 1 August 2011 at 10:27 pm #

Thanks – that sounds wonderful!

6. Jessica 14 August 2011 at 11:04 am #

I just made this, AWESOME! I made chicken stock and used that…also added some roasted red pepper…thanks for the great recipe!

• Emily Davidow 14 August 2011 at 11:33 am #

Thanks, Jessica! The roasted red pepper sounds like a fantastic addition.

7. gopoweryoga 15 January 2012 at 2:59 pm #

I just made this – I used 4 cups of veg broth and 2 cups of water (plus a little extra at the end), and I didn't have much curry powder, so I added cumin and garam masala, salt and pepper, and it tastes absolutely divine!! (And I only had 2 sweet potatoes, but they were big!) I'm enjoying this right now with some basmati rice – delicious! Thank you for the easy recipe!